allows us to reflect on our past and to be thankful for all the different ways we have seen God at work.
The Baptist State Convention of North Carolina (BSCNC) was established in Greenville on March 26, 1830, with seven pastors and seven laymen. The BSCNC began with 14 associations and about 15,000 church members.
Baptist roots in North Carolina began about 100 years prior to the BSCNC’s formation, when Paul Palmer founded the first Baptist church in the state.
The next leader to greatly influence Baptist life was Shubal Stearns, who founded Sandy Creek Baptist Church near Siler City in 1775. In 17 years, this church would become the mother, grandmother and great-grandmother to 42 churches from Georgia in the south to the Potomac River to the north, and from the coast in the east to the Mississippi River in the west. About 125 men were called out as ministers from Sandy Creek.
In 1845 the Southern Baptist Convention was created and North Carolina Baptists sent two delegates to the meeting.
Between 1885 and the 1920s, several key BSCNC outreach efforts were established, including Baptist Children’s Homes, Baptist Hospital and the Baptist Foundation.
The Cooperative Program was adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention and North Carolina Baptists in 1925.
In the 1980s the BSCNC began developing national and international partnerships in places such as Honduras, Armenia, Cuba, West Virginia and Hawaii. The BSCNC continues to support various missions partnerships throughout the nation and around the world.
The Convention moved to its current location in Cary in January 1983.
Today, the BSCNC includes 78 associations and about 4,300 churches.