2017 Annual Meeting: Day 1 Highlightsby BSCNC Communications
More than 1,000 messengers from Baptist churches across North Carolina gathered at the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro on Monday, Nov. 6 for the opening session of the 187th annual Baptist State Convention of North Carolina’s Annual Meeting. The theme of this year’s meeting is “Return to Me,” based on Zechariah 1:3. Here are highlights from day one of this year’s Annual Meeting.
- As of 6:10 p.m. Monday, 856 messengers and 150 guests have registered for a total of 1,006 in attendance. The total number of registered messengers included 341 pastors, 148 pastor’s spouses, 129 other church staff and 238 laity.
- Messengers voted that next year’s Annual Meeting will be held Nov. 5-6, 2018 at the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro.
- Ashley Clayton, vice president for Cooperative Program and stewardship, brought greetings to N.C. Baptists on behalf of the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Brian Upshaw, team leader for the BSCNC’s Disciple-Making Team, shared several characteristics of church health and revitalization and video examples of how God is moving among N.C. Baptist churches.
- Neal Eller, team leader for the BSCNC’s Church Strengthening Team, and senior consultant Sammy Joo shared how God is moving among the Montagnards and other people groups in North Carolina.
- BSCNC President Cameron McGill preached on an invitation and a promise from Zechariah 1:3 during the president’s address. McGill said there’s an invitation from the Lord to refocus, revision and renew and a promise of rest, restoration and revival. A video of McGill's sermon is available here.
- Milton A. Hollifield Jr. will deliver his executive director-treasurer’s address during the morning session at 9:15 a.m.
- Miscellaneous business is scheduled for 10:25 a.m.
- Messengers will consider two resolutions during the Committee on Resolutions and Memorials report at 10:35 a.m. Full text of the “Resolution Denouncing Racism” and the resolution on a “Biblical Stance on Human Sexuality and Marriage” may be found on pages 11 and 13, respectively, of the special edition of the Biblical Recorder.
- Messengers will consider five proposed amendments to the articles and bylaws of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina during a Board of Directors’ report at 10:50 a.m. Full text of the motions are available on pages 17, 21, 23 and 26-30 of the special edition of the Biblical Recorder.
- Elections for BSCNC officers will take place at 10:45 a.m. for president (fixed order of business) and at 1:45 p.m. for first vice president and second vice president.
- Representatives from the BSCNC’s institutions and agencies will give reports during the morning session. They include: North Carolina Baptist Hospital; Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina; the Biblical Recorder; and the North Carolina Baptist Foundation.
- Messengers will hear ministry reports from BSCNC staff members on church planting (10:05 a.m.), collegiate partnerships (10:05 a.m.) and disciple-making (1:55 p.m.).
- The proposed 2018 Cooperative Program and North Carolina Missions Offering budgets will be presented to messengers during a fixed order of business at 2:25 p.m., which will be followed by a vote.
- Breakout sessions are scheduled from 3:15-4 p.m. and 4:15-5 p.m. Titles, descriptions, locations and a map for all sessions are available on pages 11-17 in the Annual Meeting program book and on the N.C. Baptist mobile app.
- Call to worship for tonight’s “Broken Before the Throne” prayer gathering will begin at 6:30 p.m. This evening’s prayer gathering will include times of worship and prayer around the themes of repent, return, restore and refresh based upon Acts 3:19.
- During today’s business sessions, please refer to the “Guidelines for Conducting Convention Business” document, which may be found in your messenger packet or on the Annual Meeting website at ncannualmeeting.org/guidelines.
- Download the N.C. Baptist mobile app to your phone or mobile device. Search for “N.C. Baptist” in your respective app store.
- Follow the Annual Meeting on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram via @ncbaptist using the hashtag #ReturnNC
- The exhibit hall is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Share your feedback about Annual Meeting in one of three ways. Access the evaluation through the N.C. Baptist mobile app, text the word “Evaluation” to 313131 to receive a link to an online form, or complete the evaluation form found in the back of this year’s Annual Meeting program book and turn it in to an usher.
The BSCNC Annual Meeting continues on Tuesday. Individuals who are not able to attend in person may watch the main sessions online via a livestream available at ncbaptist.org/live. Also be sure to follow @ncbaptist on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The hashtag for Annual Meeting is #ReturnNC.