from across the country are joining with BSCNC churches to reach the 5.8 million people who do not know Christ in North Carolina. About 100 new churches are added in North Carolina each year as new church plants or new affiliates. Yet, the need is great for many more to reach the state.
Funding Approval Guide
These items are not necessarily listed in order.
- Association/Network - The church planter secures an association or Partnering Church Planting Network (PCPN) with an initial agreement to proceed with the process leading to a potential new church plant within its area. At some point, an association or network partnership must be secured if funding is requested. If needed, the consultant will facilitate finding an association or network.
- Planter makes initial contact – This can be via phone or email with anyone on the Church Planting Team (CPT) or a local association or PCPN.
- Partner Church – The planter secures one or more partner churches. We urge each planter to recruit a local church partner and any other partners possible as long as they do not conflict with the partnership with the BSCNC. A partnership with a church, association, network, or individual need not necessarily be local.
- Follow up - Phone call or personal interview by CPT member and Association/PCPN designee (items for conversation might include calling, background, education, experience, present ministry, etc.).
- Statement of Beliefs & Practice - These are the essential questions found on the Personnel Information Form (p. 2) related to speaking in tongues, alcohol consumption, the Cooperative Program, divorce(s), and Baptist Faith & Message 2000, etc. If the potential planter cannot answer these appropriately, there is no need to proceed further if funds are being requested.
- Online Assessment – Full-time church planters (not required of bi-vocational planters) will be advised by their consultant about assessments.
- Online Application Form – We now have most of our forms online and interconnected in one application. The application is made up of three main parts that are described below. Please complete the forms in their entirety to help expedite the paperwork process.
- Personnel Information Form (PIF) – This includes information related to the church plant, the planter’s education and work/ministry experience, marital status, references, a rough budget, and more – much like an application to become a funded church planter with the BSCNC (Ask your consultant how to gain access to this document).
- Partnership Precepts Covenant – This is a very important form. Actually, it is mostly information for you about what to expect from us and what we expect from you. It is critical that you read this carefully and that you review with your consultant, preferably with your associational Director of Missions or PCPN designee, so that we can be clear about all items necessary and expected from all parties.
- Background Release Form – In order to be good stewards of NC Baptist resources, we must check your criminal and financial background. One person in our office oversees this process. Should any issues surface, the Church Planting Team leader will contact the potential planter for further explanation, and a plan for resolution. The Church Planting Consultants do not see the results of the background search.
*References - At the present time we must require the church planting candidate to have three letters of reference. The references you list on the PIF will be contacted automatically (via email) and instructed how to send us a letter/email of reference.
- Church Planter Training – Church planter candidates may participate in training provided by North Carolina Baptists. Your consultant will have further details.
- Cooperative Program Initial Contribution Form – This is mailed to the BSCNC as indicated on the initial contribution form, signifying your partnership in Baptist mission causes. This form, upon approval, will affiliate your church plant with the BSCNC by submitting your first monetary contribution to missions giving along with the actual form.
- GuideStone Enrollment Applications – This is an application for retirement, disability, and survivor benefits. You must complete one of these but not both before any funding can begin. Please read these carefully. There are specific requirements for smaller church budgets, but also great benefits! Please send this document to our offices at BSCNC.
- For Church Budgets less than $75,000
- For Church Budgets more than $75,000
- Application for Federal Tax ID Number – This is also known as the EIN (Employer Identification Number for the IRS) and must be completed in order to apply for the GuideStone retirement account. This is for you. We recommend you do this online rather than printing out the form and sending it in. This form will show you what you’ll need to complete the online EIN application, and the directions will help you as well, or call (800) 829-4933.
- Missions Giving – As the Partnership Precepts Covenant states, the BSCNC offers many resources to the church planter, which may include training, coaching and finances. For those receiving financial support from the BSCNC, we require missions giving of:
- 5% to the Cooperative Program for missions via the BSCNC
- 3% to the partnering Baptist Association or Network
- 2% to church plants of your choice
We recommend you work methodically and intentionally through this list of requirements for those seeking financial assistance. Be aware that it does take a matter of months for paperwork to be finalized. Should you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact your consultant or their ministry assistant.
We also want to urge you to make copies of everything you submit and keep them in your files for future reference.